Installing Music21 in Windows
From the webpage: http://mit.edu/music21/doc/html/installWindows.html
- Download and install Python (I have already done, so full explanation given here later).
- Download and install numpy. This is necessary for matplotlib.
- Download and install matplotlib. This is necessary for displaying graphics in music21.
- Download the most recent .exe file from the page http://code.google.com/p/music21/downloads/list such as music21-0.3.7.a11.exe
- Run that executable program, and music21 should be installed.
Note that if you have multiple versions of Python installed on your computer, you will have to install music21 into the version that you want to use. Note that you should not use Python 3.0 or later with music21, since in particular matplotlib cannot run on python version 3.0 (as of 2011).