Humdrum encoding homework
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Read through this page:
And then do the following exercises in Verovio Humdrum Viewer.
E-mail the answers to the following questions/exercises to Craig (cc: Eleanor)
- Try editing the digital encodings on the Getting Started page and see what happens to the notation created from the encoding. Describe one of your experiments in tweaking the encoding to generate different graphical notation.
- Enter the Humdrum encoding of the following graphic music notation that you type into the text editor on Verovio Humdrum Viewer:
- Compare your graphic representation with the above version along with a screenshot of your graphic notation. What are the similarities and differences between the two versions? What formatting options might or will make it look similar (particularly size, linebreaks).
- Create a title to a musical example in the Humdrum encoding, such as the following example:
(Hint: go look at the Humdrum reference record documentation ). Where does the title go in VHV? Go to the File→Save as PDF option in the upper left menu to generate a PDF. What is different about the title and the page formatting?
- Extra Credit: Input a melody of your choice in VHV and (send encoding and screenshot).
- Extra Credit: Write a program that automatically generates a melody and outputs into the Humdrum Notation format.