Music 254/CS 275b Spring 2020 Syllabus
Music 254/CS 275b "Music Query, Analysis, and Style Simulation"
Stanford University (Spring 2020).
This music information retrieval course builds on the foundation of Music 253/CS 275A. Using an open-source analysis platform (such as the Humdrum Toolkit (unix/bash shell), Humdrum Extras (C++), or Music21 (Python), or their preferred programming language/environment) students plan and design their own applications involving symbolic musical data.
The first four weeks cover basic areas of music analysis and retrieval and introduce basic principles of using the Humdrum Toolkit. Students may be assigned individual reading assignments pertinent to their research topic areas. The remaining six weeks are spent on individual project development, with weekly reports and discussions. Extensive help is available in the lab during hours allotted to class time. Students give verbal and written reports on their research at the end of the quarter. Some projects may be appropriate for continuation in independent-study modules.
|Meeting times:||Tuesdays & Thursdays 1:30–2:50|
|Instructors:|| Eleanor Selfridge-Field (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|Office Hours:||after class and by appointment on Zoom/Skype/Google Hangouts|
25% class participation, 75% project
wiki.ccarh.org/wiki/Music 254 Overview of topics presented in Music 254.
|Prerequisites:||Completion of Music 253/CS 275b, or demonstrated ability to use notation and sound software and associated requirements.|
|Textbook:||E. Selfridge-Field, ed., Beyond MIDI: The Handbook of Musical Codes (MIT Press, 1997). Available online by permission of the publisher.|
See also Music 253/CS 275a Syllabus
|1||7, 9 April 2020||
Harmony-related Humdrum tools
Homework for new students
|3||21 Apr 2020||
Lectures: Approaches to melodic and other musical-similarity assessment
Labs: Rhythm and score manipulation tools
|3||23 Apr 2020||
|2||14 & 16 Apr 2020||
Cope, Emmy, Emily Howell Lectures (Style Synthesis)
|4||28 Apr 2020||
Lectures: Counterpoint (I), Similarity, Musical Coherence
Humdrum parsing in C++
|4||30 Apr 2020||
Humdrum & MIDI
|5||5 May 2020||
|5||7 May 2020|
|6||12 May 2020||
Rhythm and Meter
Programming for Humdrum files
|6||14 May 2020||
Sonority distributions by bass-line scale degrees
|7||19 May 2020||
Recent developments in MIR
|7||21 May 2020||
Recent Work in Harmonic Analysis
|8||26 May 2020||
|8||28 May 2020||
|9||2 & 4 Jun 2020||
|10||9 June 2020||
Project presentations in class.
|11||11 June 2020||
Project write-ups for students taking a degree on June 14, 2020 (Deadline T.B.D.).
|12||18 June 2020||
Project write-ups for students continuing at Stanford beyond June 14, 2020 (Deadline T.B.D.).
- Support tools:
- assemble: merge separate spines into single data stream.
- serialize: convert Humdrum data into single spine.
- humcat : concatenate multiple scores together (download data from web).
- ridx: remove various components of Humdrum file structure
- ditto: resolve meaning of null tokens.
- humsplit: split segmented Humdrum file streams into separate files.
- Unix tools:
- Support tools:
- Pitchmix and Markov analysis of composite sonorities
General Policies and University Rules
General policies and university rules:
- Delivery times:
- Assignments: by the start of the class for which they are due.
- Writeup: by 11 p.m. 7 June 2020 (Exact date T.B.D.).
- Honor code: We will act and expect you to act according to the Stanford Honor Code.
- Students with disabilities: Students who may need an academic accommodation based on the impact of a disability must initiate the request with the Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC) located within the Office of Accessible Education (OAE). SDRC staff will evaluate the request with required documentation, recommend reasonable accommodations, and prepare an Accommodation Letter for faculty dated in the current quarter in which the request is being made. Students should contact the SDRC as soon as possible since timely notice is needed to coordinate accommodations. The OAE is located at 563 Salvatierra Walk (phone 723-1066).